Selasa, 24 Mei 2011

Malaysia Today - Your Source of Independent News


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

Malaysia Today - Your Source of Independent News


We Must Support BERSIH Rally on the 9th July 2011 in KL

Posted: 23 May 2011 12:44 PM PDT

By SocratesI

It is high time we take control of our fates in our own hands. This is our Constitutional RIGHT and we need to jealously guard this right. We need to nsure that we have absolutely FREE & FAIR elections in Malaysia, so that every voice of the Rakyat can be heard, and counted in an equitable and fair manner.

We must let the Election Commission and the government of the day know that we shall not allow any loopholes (unaccountable issuance of MyKADs etc.), inconsistencies (gerrymandering etc.), and discrepancies (phantom voters etc.) to exist in our electoral system, and that we shall fight tooth and nail for our birthright.

All loopholes must be plugged, and inconsistencies and discrepancies removed entirely, before the next General Election. We, the Rakyat of Malaysia, will leave no stone unturned to ensure this. This is why we MUST support the BERSIH Rally calling for clean and fair elections on the 9th July 2011 in Kuala Lumpur.

To all red-blooded Malaysian out there, let us show our resolve on the 9th July 2011. For those who want to contribute to this cause long term, join BERSIH, join MCLM, and do what you can do for your country, Malaysia. Malaysia NEEDS YOU!

One person, one vote, no more, no less.

[D]emonstrate peacefully for true Democracy,
[E]mulate Gandhi, Mandela, Egypt and Tunisia,
[M]alaysia is our beloved homeland now and forever,
[O]ur founding fathers worked all races together,

[C]onstitutionally, every voice is guaranteed to be heard,
[R]oaring across Malaysia in the form of votes,
[A]rticulating the Rakyat's will and resolve,
[C]reating a Nation that will successfully evolve,

[Y]ou must attend the BERSIH rally in KL on 9th July 2011.

Federal Govt Bailing Out Water Concessionaires

Posted: 23 May 2011 11:31 AM PDT

By Tony Pua

It has been reported in the media that the BN Federal Government has decided to bail out the debts of the Selangor privatised water companies to the tune of RM6.5 billion. This move has in effect killed any remaining possibility of the Selangor state government striking a deal with these companies to restructure and take over the water industry in Selangor.

The debts of these water companies were at risk of default after they were unable to meet their installment earlier this year. Of the four companies, Puncak Niaga Sdn Bhd and its subsidiary, Syarikat Bekalan Air Negeri Selangor (SYABAS), had debts amounting to more than RM4.2 billion.

The failure of these companies to service their debts, had no bailout been offered by the BN Administration, would have necessitated these companies to come to the table and negotiate the terms of restructuring with the Selangor state government or other parties which has made offers to acquire the businesses and assets.

The Selangor state government has made a third offer amounting to RM6.3 billion into acquire these water companies, and taking over their debts obligations.  In addition, the state government is able to ensure that there will be no water tariff hikes post restructuring. Gamuda, through its subsidiary Pengeluaran Air Selangor Holdings (SPLASH) has also made an offer to acquire the same companies for RM10.8 billion, a figure including the existing debts.

However as a result of the Federal Government bailing out the massive debts, they have relieved these companies of their cash flow problems. This will mean that there is now no urgency for these companies to agree to any form of restructuring as desired under the Water Services Industry Act (2006) as they now have the upper hand at the negotiating table at the expense of the rakyat.

In fact the likely outcome from the bailout is that the Federal Government will follow up with the taking over water-related assets will be these privatised water concessionaires will continue to able to operate and profit from the provision of water services in Selangor, without having to be burden by debts which have been accumulated over the years.

The result is clearly a loss for the people of Selangor for they have lost an opportunity for the privatised water industry to be truly restructured to ensure quality water prices are to be provided at the lowest possible prices. 

The Minister of Energy, Water and Green Technologies, Datuk Peter Chin must immediately provide clarifications for the move to bail out the debts of the water concessionaires before a restructuring deal is finalised, at the expense of the people's interest. He must also fully disclose at the same time the means and terms of repayment to the Government by these concessionaires with the Government taking over these debts.

Finally, the bailout debunks all earlier claims by the BN Government that it is acting in the interest of the rakyat, and serves to prove that it is only interested in protecting the interest of its political cronies above everything else.

An Evening with Art Harun & Raja Petra Kamarudin

Posted: 23 May 2011 07:43 AM PDT



7.00pm, Tuesday, 31st May 2011 (with dinner)

Holiday Villa Hotel
37 Leinster Gardens
London W2 3AN

Art Harun, Malaysian lawyer and blogger, "believes that he is a failed government experiment, abandoned and left alone to roam the streets after all remedial efforts yielded no positive results. He calls himself a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO), practices law for a living and tries very hard to play the guitar, sing, race cars and writes the occasional column for The Malaysian Insider to stay alive".
 
Really, Art gives himself too little credit. As a defender of free speech and a fierce critic of the abuse of the 'Special Position' accorded by Article 153, Art Harun is indeed very respectable failure.

Incidentally, Art was in the team of lawyers who made Malaysian legal history by successfully 'breaking out' Raja Petra Kamarudin from the Kamunting Detention Centre.

Raja Petra should need no introduction - recently returned to the UK after he almost walked into the Malaysian Embassy one evening in Bangkok - had he not been refrained by wife Marina and two lawyer friends. 

It has been a year since RPK emerged in London for a public speaking engagement. With yet another lawyer present, will this be another night of drama with the Authorities? Let's hope not – dinner beckons at 7.00pm.

£15 per person; pay at the door.

 

23yr old robbed by the police

Posted: 23 May 2011 12:08 AM PDT

I was going back home and an incident with the police made me understand the ugliness of Malaysia. I studied in Singapore and Melbourne all my life and thought that as a Malaysian, I should work in Malaysia and contribute to the country. I love my country and my family, but what happened really made me lose faith in our system. Please help all Malaysians voice out our discontent and allow us to share our experience.

By Alicia

At 2am on Friday night (May 20, 2011 at Jalan Pudu), I was robbed by the police. He searched every compartment of my purse, under my seat and on the side of my car door, for money. He took away RM30, SGD180 and a 5 Scottish Pound that I always placed in my purse for luck. At 2.30am, I drove back home penniless with only my 'Touch N Go' card.

It was a roadblock beside the old Pudu Jail. The police force was looking out for 'drink and drive' drivers on a Friday night. I had a pint of beer. I have done something that I should not have and was prepared to face the punishment. However, the punishment that came my way was not something I was expecting.

In a typical road block, drivers are checked license, road taxes or I.C, followed by being checked with a Breathalyser that confirms the reading of the alcohol content of the driver's breath. Drivers with higher than legal limit of alcohol content can be 'booked' or arrested, taken to the nearest hospital to check their breath, blood and urine samples.

None of these procedures were conducted on me. The police took my I.C but none of my particulars were written down. He asked me to blow into a yellow stick that looked a little like a torchlight. I have not been tested by a breathalyser before. I had no idea if what he made me blow into was a real breathalyser. All I know was, this breathalyser did not show the reading of the alcohol content. A red light beeped after I blew into it and the police claimed I had exceeded the alcohol limit. I requested to know what was the alcohol content captured, he refused to answer and began to raise his voice and threatened to lock me down.

"I don't want to go with you. I'm new to KL, how are we going to the station? Can I call my friend? Please" I said.

He asked me to step out of the car and he would use my car to drive me to the station. I refused to go without calling my friend.

The robbery started here.

"How much do you have?" he asked.

I opened my purse to show him all I had. RM34 and a 5 Scottish Pound.

He was visibly unhappy with what he saw.

"This is not enough. I have to lock you down. I have to. Move to the passenger seat now", he demanded.

I did not get it. Why was he sending me to the station with my car? I had no idea what was captured as the degree of my alcohol content. Don't I need to take a urine sample in the hospital before being locked down?

"You said you stay in Subang. You would need to take the toll to go home, right? How do you pay for your toll?", he asked.

Now, he was eyeing my Touch N Go. I showed the Touch N GO to him and this was when he saw the SGD 180 that was kept at the side of my car door. He started to open my door, searched through the side of my car and under my seat for more money.

I took out all my Singapore Dollars for him. This was really all I had left. It was the Singapore dollars that I left in my car after I visited Singapore a week ago.

He counted the money and looked at me in suspicion to see if I had more money.

He took all my money and left me.

I was met with a robbery at 2am in the Capital City of Malaysia. These robbers were supposed to keep my country safe.

Kredit: www.malaysia-today.net

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

Malaysia Today Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved