- Raja Nong Chik lodges police report against Nurul Izzah
- Xavier’s supporters gather outside Anwar’s house
- PKR to hold four rallies next month over electoral reforms, says Johari Abdul
- Four MCA reps quit JB city council
- Selangor EXCO crisis continues
- Stay out, Singapore tells Malaysia after Merlion Park protests
- Activist Hishammuddin Rais also charged with uttering seditious words
- Voters: Cops harrassed us over ink reports
- New MDA licensing scheme for news websites
- 'Buy Chinese last': NGOs blame Red Bean Army
Posted: 28 May 2013 08:00 PM PDT
(Bernama) - Lembah Pantai Umno division head Datuk Raja Nong Chik Raja Zainal Abidin today lodged a police report on a statement made by the Lembah Pantai Member of Parliament Nurul Izzah Anwar linking him to the purchase of 4.856 hectares of land in Bukit Kiara.
He said the report was to enable the police to investigate the statement made by Nurul Izzah, who is also Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) vice-president, one day before polling for the 13th general election.
Raja Nong Chik claimed that the statement had slanderous undertone.
"I leave the matter to the police to investigate. I will consider filing an (election) petition and a suit against her (Nurul Izzah)," he told reporters after lodging the report at the Pantai Police Station at about 3pm today.
Nurul Izzah defeated Raja Nong Chik, who was the former Minister of Federal Territories and Urban Wellbeing, in the 13th general election on May 5 with a majority of 1,847 votes.
Posted: 28 May 2013 07:42 PM PDT
The group vented their frustration over the decision to drop the dentist from the Selangor exco line-up.
B Nantha Kumar, FMT
Disappointed that Dr Xavier Jeyakumar had been dropped from the Selangor exco lineup, a group of PKR members and NGO leaders gathered outside party de facto leader Anwar Ibrahim's house in Segambut to vent their frustration last night.
It is learnt that they also held a closed door meeting with Anwar, persuading him to give the Seri Andalas assemblyman an exco post for another term.
"However, it was not a fruitful meeting since PKR has already identified their new exco line up for the second term under Menteri Besar Abdul Khalid Ibrahim's administration," claimed a source close to Anwar.
Speaking on the condition of anonymity, the PKR source confirmed that it was a heated meeting after one of the supporters was told to leave the meeting by Anwar.
According to him, six people led by Selayang councillor George Gunaraj and Suaram co-chairman K Arumugam had the meeting with Anwar.
It is believed that during the meeting, Anwar explained that it was the Selangor palace and not the party that wanted Xavier to be dropped.
Xavier was appointed as the state exco in the Pakatan Rakyat government after winning the Seri Andalas state seat in 2008.
Despite the dentist retaining his seat by defeating MIC candidate T Mohan with a bigger majority this time around, he was dropped from the exco list for unknown reasons.
In a related issue, Anwar's special advisor R Suresh Kumar criticised Xavier and his supporters for gathering in front of Anwar's house.
"It is very unprofessional and unhealthy for a senior leader like Xavier. Any party related issues must be discussed in the office not in leaders' houses," he added.
Suresh also admitted that he would lodge an official complaint over the incident.
"I will meet the party disciplinary committee by this week to lodge a report against Xavier and his supporters who gathered in front of Anwar's house," he said.
Posted: 28 May 2013 05:43 PM PDT
(The Star) - PKR is adamant about continuing its rallies to protest the results of the May 5 general election despite last Saturday's being the last.
Chief organizer and PKR supreme council member Datuk Johari Abdul told a press conference on Wednesday that four more rallies had been planned for next month.
Johari listed three "electoral reform" demands, including the resignation of Election Commission members, for the Government to meet before it ceased with the rallies.
"We want a new panel of members that is agreed to by Pakatan Rakyat and the civil societies," he said.
Johari, who is Sungai Petani MP, said the party would seek a by-election in 30 seats where cheating is alleged to have taken place as well as the postponement of the election law amendment and the re-delineation exercise.
"We will continue having these rallies every week if the Government does not heed our demands," he said.
Asked why PKR had not "moved on", Johari said the party will not move forward until the matter has been fully addressed by the Government.
He challenged the critics to join the rallies and "witness the multitude of people who are also demanding the same thing".
Posted: 28 May 2013 02:53 PM PDT
(The Star) - Four of the nine MCA representatives in the Johor Baru City Council (MBJB) have handed in their resignation letters.
MBJB mayor Burhan Amin said the other five representatives were on leave and had yet to tender their resignations.
"We have made rearrangements in the committee so that we can continue our work without major interruptions," he said during the MBJB full council meeting here yesterday.
The four who resigned were Chang Mei Kee (Pulai Wanita deputy chairman, who also lost in the Pengkalan Rinting state seat contest), Teo Boon Keong (Pasir Gudang Youth deputy chief), Neo Kai Beng (Pulai Public Complaints Bureau head) and Ang Boon Heng (Pulai leader).
The five who have yet to hand in their letters are Tan Hong Hua (Tebrau deputy chairman), Tan Lian (JB deputy chairman), Wong Kwee Eng (party member), Leow Kam Choy (Neng Yih branch Youth head) and Ang Puay Wah (JB deputy Youth chief).
Posted: 28 May 2013 02:47 PM PDT
(The Star) - The swearing-in ceremony of the new Selangor executive council is just 24 hours away but Pakatan Rakyat is nowhere near finalising the line-up, according to sources.
Intense haggling was still going on, said a Pakatan official who declined to be named.
He claimed that two separate name lists had been prepared and presented to Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah for his consideration.
The swearing-in is scheduled before the Sultan at Istana Alam Shah tomorrow, with a rehearsal planned for today.
Selangor DAP vice-chairman Datuk Teng Chang Khim confirmed that the final list of 10 exco members had not been decided and that PKR, PAS and the DAP were still in discussion. "But we will definitely be ready before the swearing-in,'' he said when contacted.
Likening the selection process to that of picking a football team, Teng said the Sultan had consented to "a squad which includes first team players and substitutes".
"Now we are discussing who will be in the final 10. When the players march on to the field, you will know who they are," said the former Selangor State Legislative Assembly Speaker.
In the previous line-up, the DAP and PAS had three representatives each and PKR four. PKR is likely to be the party with three representatives this time but it is not known which party the DAP or PAS will get the extra exco seat.
The DAP has already announced the names of two of its representatives, Teng (Sungai Pinang) and Ean Yong Hian Wah (Seri Kembangan).
It is learnt that the other names nominated by the party are Lau Weng San (Kampung Tunku), Ng Suee Lim (Sekinchan), Hannah Yeoh (Subang Jaya) and V. Ganabatirao (Kota Alam Shah).
Former exco members Teresa Kok did not contest a state seat and Ronnie Liu was dropped, leaving Ean Yong as the only "survivor" from the old team.
Ean Yong is expected to continue in his New Village Development and Illegal Factories portfolio while Teng is slated to take over the Local Government portfolio, which was held by Liu.
A PKR source said the party's nominees were Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad (Seri Setia), Shuhaimi Shafiei (Sri Muda), Haniza Talha (Taman Medan), Rodziah Ismail (Batu Tiga) and Dr Xavier Jayakumar (Sri Andalas).
PAS has nominated its Selangor commissioner Dr Rani Osman and its three former exco members Iskandar Samad (Cempaka), Dr Halimah Ali (Selat Kelang) and Dr Yunus Hairi (Sijangkang) as well as Sallehen Mukhyi (Sabak).
There is also talk that PKR's defeated Sabak Bernam parliamentary candidate Dr Abdul Aziz Bari could be brought in as the Speaker.
"He is a law professor and is articulate and knowledgeable. He will make a great Speaker,'' a PAS official said.
On another matter, a PKR insider said the party planned to appoint its secretary-general Datuk Saifuddin Nasution Ismail as the Selangor Mentri Besar's chief of staff.
Posted: 28 May 2013 02:38 PM PDT
(TMI) - Singapore has warned Malaysian lawmakers against interfering in the republic's affairs in the wake of appeals to show leniency towards its citizens who face being barred from the country for taking part in illegal protests earlier this month.
Several opposition MPs had last week sent a memorandum via the Singapore High Commission here asking the republic's government to "exercise restraint and give those arrested a second chance" to 21 Malaysians arrested for violating the Lion City's laws on illegal assembly when they held two demonstrations protesting Malaysia's 13th general elections at the iconic Merlion Park on May 8 and 11.
"Singapore does not interfere in the domestic matters of other countries. In turn, Singapore will not tolerate outside forces interfering in our internal affairs," Singapore's home affairs ministry and foreign affairs ministry said in a joint statement posted on the latter ministry's website.
The two Singapore ministries said they were responding to the petition and reminded the Pakatan Rakyat (PR) lawmakers that some of the 21 Merlion Park protestors had "deliberately ignored repeated warnings that the protests were illegal, and that foreigners should not import the differences that they may have over issues in their countries into Singapore."
"They broke Singapore laws, and have to be dealt with accordingly," the statement said.
The Singapore government also reminded the Malaysian lawmakers that "their actions to involve foreign parties are attempts to seek special treatment and to further politicise what is essentially a domestic law and order issue in Singapore."
Last week, a group of PR parliamentarians, including re-elected Lembah Pantai MP Nurul Izzah Anwar and the new MP for Kulai, Teo Nie Ching, had pleaded with Singapore authorities on behalf of the affected Malaysians, some who had their work permit there revoked as punishment for breaking the law.
Posted: 28 May 2013 01:14 PM PDT
(The Star) - Political activist Hishammuddin Rais has joined four others in being charged with uttering seditious words at a May 13 forum.
Earlier, Hishammuddin had surrendered to the police in the court complex in Jalan Duta following a warrant of arrest issued against him.
He was then taken to the Sessions Court and the charge under the Sedition Act 1948 was read out to him. He claimed trial.
The judge set bail at RM5,000 in one surety, and fixed July 2 for mention.
In the court earlier, PKR vice-president Tian Chua, former Umno leader Tamrin Ghafar, activists Haris Ibrahim and Safwan Anang were charged with a similar offence.
Posted: 28 May 2013 12:51 PM PDT
(The Star) - The police officers repeatedly asked if anyone had ordered them to lodge the complaints, the two men told a press conference called by PKR Youth chief Shamsul Iskandar Mohd Akin in Gombak here yesterday.
Several people have claimed that the police intimidated and harrassed them when they lodged reports over the indelible ink used during the general election.
Two voters, who had lodged reports at separate police stations on Monday over the alleged ineffectiveness of the ink, claimed that they were repeatedly queried and close-up photos of their faces were taken.
Abd Razak Mohamad, 58, and Saharudin Abu Bakar, 46, claimed that they were among 14 people who had lodged police reports on that day.
The police officers repeatedly asked if anyone had ordered them to lodge the complaints, the two men told a press conference called by PKR Youth chief Shamsul Iskandar Mohd Akin in Gombak here yesterday.
Abd Razak, who was also questioned by a Special Branch officer at the Ulu Klang district police headquarters, said he was confused but knew that this should not be the way for taking a police report.
"The officer kept saying that it was normal to take photos of any complainants," said Abd Razak.
Saharudin, who had lodged his report at the Gombak district police headquarters, said that the investigating officer had asked about his background.
Shamsul Iskandar said that he wants the Home Minister and the Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar to explain whether this was the correct procedure when accepting a police report.
Gombak district police chief Asst Comm Abdul Rahim Abdullah said that he will verify the claims first with his staff before commenting further on the matter.
He added, however, that it was normal for the police officers to take down all the statements of those who lodged complaints.
In Ipoh, an MP and two Perak assemblymen, all three of which were from PKR, had lodged reports over the same matter at the Ipoh district police station yesterday.
Dr Lee said that the indelible ink, which was supposed to last for at least five days, remained on his finger for only about 48 hours.
"I just used normal soap to wash my hands (on polling day, May 5) and the ink totally faded by the next day," he claimed.
Posted: 28 May 2013 12:41 PM PDT
Posted: 28 May 2013 12:37 PM PDT
A group of Muslim NGOs, led by the Muslim Consumers Association of Malaysia (PPIM), which called for a boycott of purportedly pro-Pakatan Rakyat companies, said today it was DAP's supposed 'Red Bean Army' which first started such boycotts.
"Some of the slander against us is that we are ruining the economy, that we are extremist and much more.
"But I would like to share that the 'Red Bean Army' is the one that started it first. They started systematically in 2011," PPIM executive secretary Nadzim Johan told a press conference in Kuala Lumpur today.
According to Nadzim, the "Red Bean Army" started an online campaign in 2011 calling for the boycott of breadmakers Gardenia.
"They said boycott Gerdenia because it is an Umno brand, it is linked to politics, but I do not know when Gardenia became an Umno brand.
"Their purpose is just to demonise and dislodge Umno," he said.
'Our boycott is justified'
The Red Bean Army is supposedly a team of 200 cybertroopers hired by DAP at a cost of RM108 million over the last six years, widely reported in Umno-owned Utusan Malaysia and Umno-linked New Straits Times .
DAP said that the group was a figment of Utusan's imagination while pointing out that the numbers quoted in such reports just don't add up.
Gardenia, partially owned by Syed Mokhtar Albukhary was caught in a vicious online campaign with racial undertones since 2011, accusing it of being a crony company with calls to support rival Massimo bread by Robert Kuok.
Gardenia Bakeries (KL) Sdn Bhd had in Nov 2011 issued a statement, stating that it was a "Malaysian company" and hired people "regardless of race of religion".
Nadzim also read out several online comments on the boycott which he said was translated from Chinese, which had derogatory references such as the word "pig" which is deemed highly offensive among the Malay community.
"Our boycott is justified, but their boycott (Red Bean Army) is to sow hatred. If Malays were to read this what would happen?
"This is what is said to be sowing disunity. Whoever read this would surely be upset," he said.
|You are subscribed to email updates from Malaysia Today - Your Source of Independent News |
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
|Email delivery powered by Google|
|Google Inc., 20 West Kinzie, Chicago IL USA 60610|