- Disclosure by architect of Scorpene purchase disproves Opposition claims, says Shabery Cheek
- Altantuya was never in France from 1999 to 2006: French Police
- Umno election Oct 5
- Man United unveil new away jersey at Osaka
- After war crime film, Pakatan MPs want Najib to skip CHOGM in Sri Lanka
- Sex bloggers now fear for their safety
- Miss Malaysia may yet be Malay
- No ‘DAP Baru’ if de-registered, RoS warns party
- Sabah RCI:PBS shown Umno forms as part of dubious IC give-out
- SK Seri Pristana whistleblower lodges police report over threats
- SK Seri Pristina headmaster receives death threat, files police report
- Girlfriend lodges report on behalf of fugitive cop
Posted: 27 Jul 2013 04:14 AM PDT
(Bernama) - The architect of the Scorpene submarine purchase made in France has disclosed details disproving Opposition's fictitious claims through Suaram.
As such, Communications and Multimedia Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek said it was a major revelation that contradicted stories made up by certain groups such as Suaram, and parties hungry for a power grab in the country.
He said the 'tell-all' by Jasbir Singh Chahl - the architect of the submarine deal - to modernise the national defence system was timely.
"The other side is busy putting up a show, so they are now collecting funds to hire lawyers for the case in France.
"For me, they can continue to solicit funds to enrich the lawyers, and the people should be careful not to be cheated in this issue," he said.
Ahmad Shabery was commenting on Jasbir's disclosure on the issue in an English daily Saturday.
He said the people should reject such lies and appreciate the clarification of the government made earlier.
"The Scorpene issue has been explained in the Dewan Rakyat. When asked to swear, the prime minister was willing to do so. However, none of the accusing parties dared to swear on their allegations," he said.
According Ahmad Shabery, the submarine acquisition was a major contract for the country and the government would audit it to ensure no misappropriation took place.
"The submarine is not an item we can buy from a shop. It was based on a contract before construction could begin. The equipment systems need to be built, according to specifications and designs," he said.
Earlier, the minister presented contributions to 261 imams and bilals from 49 mosques in the Kemaman parliamentary constituency here.
Posted: 26 Jul 2013 05:04 PM PDT
A fabricated picture of Altantuya in France
SLAIN Mongolian model Altantuya Shaariibuu was never in France from 1999 to 2006, the year she died.
(NST) - In a startling disclosure following an exhaustive investigation, the French authorities have revealed that Altantuya, who had been linked to defence analyst Abdul Razak Baginda, was never in France during that time.
The independent French investigation, covering several agencies including the French immigration, was initiated after Malaysian human rights non-governmental organisation Suaram lodged a complaint in the French courts in 2010, claiming that French naval firm DCNS had paid RM452 million as a bribe to Malaysian officials to obtain the contract for two Scorpene submarines.
The amount was paid to Perimekar Sdn Bhd, the company in charge of the logistics and the training of the officers and men of the Royal Malaysian Navy's Submarine Force and covered project management and project integration services, coordinating the involvement of Malaysian companies in the industrial participation programme in the provision of services during the construction phase and to monitor the performance of these firms, helping the main contractor comply with all local laws and procedures relating to the execution of the contract, coordinating and monitoring the training of RMN personnel in compliance with the main contract and in accordance with Malaysian Government and RMN expectations, and providing monthly reports on all of the above.
The picture of Altantuya having dinner in Paris with Razak Baginda and Najib Tun Razak that Tian Chua admitted he had fabricated
The biggest chunk of the fees went to the provision of food and accommodation and all the necessary services for the training of RMN personnel and their families in Brest, France, and Spain, for a period of six years, inclusive of health insurance premiums and perdiem allowances of a minimum of Euro50 per person.
Other costs include their return travel fares to Malaysia three times a year. In all, 145 RMN personnel, including 49 officers and dependents were covered by this. Perimekar's profit after tax was RM105,111,191.
Razak had helped Jasbir Singh Chahl work out the details in the purchase of the two Perdana Menteri-class diesel-powered fast-attack boats.
According to Razak's Baginda's evidence in court, he only met Altantuya in late 2004. The negotiations for the Scorpenes began in 2000 and the deal was inked in 2002.
A source close to the French investigations said that the investigations currently centres on the alleged corruption, and nothing more.
One of the myths that has been "accepted" as gospel was that Altantuya had acted as a translator for Razak.
However, in his deposition to the French authorities, former DCNS marketing manager for Malaysia and Singapore at the time, Fredric Faura, told investigators that there was no need for an interpreter since negotiations were in English and Malaysians were fluent in the language.
Posted: 26 Jul 2013 03:15 PM PDT
(Bernama) - Umno will hold its Supreme Council elections on Oct 5, simultaneously with the divisional delegates meetings nationwide, party president Najib Tun Razak announced yesterday.
He also said that the party's 2013 general assembly would be held over six
The national-level elections for the Wanita Umno, Umno Youth and Puteri Umno wings would be held on Sept 28, he said after chairing a meeting of the Umno Supreme Council, here.
Najib, who is the prime minister, said party members who wanted to contest posts in the supreme council, divisions and wings could register as candidates on Sept 7 with the state Umno liaison committees.
This is the first time that Umno will be enforcing amended provisions of the party constitution that enables about 150,000 grassroots members to elect the top leadership, and not restricting the elections to about 2,600 assembly delegates as was the practice up to now.
Najib said he hoped that the amended provisions of the party constitution would enable members to elect leaders who could place the party on a stronger foundation.
"We hope that the elected leaders are acceptable to the party and the people … we want leaders who are successful not only in the party but also in the general election as well.
"We hope that Umno can be accepted as the party of choice of the people. It is for this reason that we have to field leaders acceptable to the people and able to reflect a positive image," he said.
Najib also announced that the total number of Umno members as of now was about 3.4 million.
The number included new members totalling 113,959 as of July 22, making up ordinary members (9,043), Wanita Umno members (17,841), Umno Youth members (48,867) and Puteri Umno members (38,208), he said.
Six new state chiefs
Following the meeting, Najib also announced the appointment of six new state chiefs for the party.
They are Shahidan Kassim (Perlis), Mukhriz Tun Dr Mahathir (Kedah), Noh Omar (Selangor), Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor (Federal Territories), Idris Haron (Melaka) and Mohd Khaled Nordin (Johor).
State chiefs who were retained are Mustapa Mohamed (Kelantan), Ahmad Said (Terengganu), Zainal Abidin Osman (Penang) and Dr Zambry Abdul Kadir (Perak), Adnan Yaakob (Pahang), Mohamad Hasan (Negeri Sembilan)
Najib also announced the the deputy state chiefs as follows:
Najib said Umno's Supreme Council also agreed that the management of the Sungai Petani and Padang Serai divisions in Kedah be returned to the respective divisions.
This followed the Kedah Umno Liaison Committee requesting that Sungai Petani division head Ali Yahya and Padang Serai acting division head Halim Hassan be entrusted the responsibility.
The Sungai Petani division became embroiled in problems since 2010 while Padang Serai beginning early last year, which forced their management to be taken over by the state party headquarters.
Posted: 25 Jul 2013 05:17 PM PDT
(AFP) - OSAKA (Japan): Manchester United chose a samurai-era castle in the Japanese city of Osaka Thursday to unveil their new away kit, with the gingham check from the city's industrial heritage intact.
The new shirt, featuring the gingham used on last season's home shirt with a bigger, bolder design, was introduced in the grounds of Osaka Castle in the presence of manager David Moyes and United players including hometown boy Shinji Kagawa.
United were to wear the shirt Friday in an away friendly against pink-clad J-League side Cerezo Osaka, the fourth game of their pre-season Asian tour.
"The shirt's large black and midnight navy gingham checks represent Manchester's proud industrial past when the check was produced in the city's booming cotton mills in the 18th century," United said in a statement.
The castle, founded in 1583 by samurai warrior Hideyoshi Toyotomi, has been rebuilt over centuries with its latest full restoration in 1997.
Posted: 25 Jul 2013 05:09 PM PDT
(MM) - Several Pakatan Rakyat (PR) MPs want Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak to boycott the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) 2013 to be held in Sri Lanka and sever ties with the country following revelations of alleged war crimes in a controversial documentary.
At a screening of the film "No Fire Zone" at the Kuala Lumpur Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall in Kuala Lumpur last night, Subang MP R. Sivarasa (pic), speaking on behalf of the group, said atrocities shown committed by the Sri Lankan Army on thousands of Tamil people required a drastic response.
Posted: 25 Jul 2013 02:52 PM PDT
(The Star) - Sex blogger Alvin Tan and Vivian Lee - known commonly as Alvivi - may have to worry for their safety now that they have been released on bail.
The couple's lawyer, Chong Joo Tian, said if any threats were made against them, they will "lodge a police report and seek police protection.
The couple were bombarded with threats after they posted a controversial 'Ramadan' greeting which depicted them eating bak kut teh with the words 'Selamat berbuka puasa' on their Facebook fan page.Facebook and Twitter users of all religions and racial backgrounds immediately castigated the pair on social media.
Many had threatened their wellbeing on Facebook which shared their personal details like addresses, IC numbers, and relatives' details.
A picture of the couple with the caption 'KILL - If you hurt or kill this scum in front of me I will make like I didn't see' was also circulated on Facebook.
The barrage led Alvivi to tweet from their now-deactivated Twitter account pleading for it to stop.
They said the threats were so discomfiting that they were unable to eat or sleep.
"Mercy please," they tweeted.
Posted: 25 Jul 2013 02:36 PM PDT
(MM) - The four young Muslim women who were dropped as finalists of Miss Malaysia World 2013 may yet be allowed to compete following a review by the Federal Territories Islamic Department (Jawi).
Miss Malaysia World official licensee and organiser Datuk Anna Lim (pic) told The Malay Mail she met with Jawi director Datuk Che Mat Che Ali who was looking into the matter after she submitted the particulars of this year's competition.
Posted: 25 Jul 2013 01:56 PM PDT
(The Malay Mail) - "It is better for the party to members and leaders to take initiative to save the party rather than false hopes of setting up a new one," Abdul Rahman said when asked about suggestions that the DAP avoid RoS action by holding fresh polls.The DAP could face a permanent ban as the Registrar of Societies (RoS) has said it will reject the opposition party's application to form a new party if it is de-registered.
RoS director-general Datuk Abdul Rahman Othman was quoted by The Star as saying that the party should not "harbour false hopes" of forming a new party since the body had shun applications to register new parties for the past five years.
"They can apply. But the right to approve it is with the RoS. We did not even entertain 29 applications to set up new parties submitted over the last five years," he said.
DAP leaders have in the past alleged a conspiracy to dissolve the party after the RoS initiated an investigation into purported irregularities in the party's elections last year.
The party maintained innocence but refused to heed internal calls for new elections which drew accusations of a cover-up.
"It is better for the party to members and leaders to take initiative to save the party rather than false hopes of setting up a new one," Abdul Rahman said when asked about suggestions that the DAP avoid RoS action by holding fresh polls.
The move to reject the DAP's application to set up a new party should it be banned will likely prompt opposition leaders to cry bias by highlighting the RoS's quick approval of Umno Baru, the new party formed by then Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad after the original Umno was declared illegal by the courts.
Commenting on this, Abdul Rahman said the two cases should not be compared.
"Umno's case involved the court, whereas the DAP's case involves the RoS," he was quoted as saying.
On January 4, DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng revealed that there were errors in the tabulation of votes from the December 15, 2012 party elections, which he said were caused by a technical glitch when the results were transferred to a computer using the Microsoft Excel programme.
The amendments resulted in Lim's political secretary, Zairil Khir Johari, moving up from 39th position to 20th ― the last elected position in the party's CEC.
Zairil's votes were re-tallied at 803 compared to the 305 announced earlier.
Vincent Wu, who initially secured sixth spot with 1,202 votes, dropped to 26th as the party claimed he actually garnered only 669 votes.
Although a majority of the party's supporters accepted the explanation, some disgruntled members later lodged complaints with the RoS, claiming that the results were manipulated.
The party has denied the allegation and said it would co-operate with the RoS investigation on the matter.
Abdul Rahman said the investigation was already in its final phase and a decision is expected soon.
Posted: 25 Jul 2013 12:48 PM PDT
(WikiSabah) - Parti Bersatu Sabah (PBS) officials were shown Umno application forms by sources who claimed that the forms were part of the clandestine mass issuance of illegal identity cards.
PBS vice-president Radin Malleh testified to the royal commission of inquiry on illegal immigrants in Sabah that he had himself seen those forms, which included a photograph and a thumbprint.
However, to a question by Sabah Law Association representative Yunof Maringking, he stressed that he was "not implicating Umno or Persatuan Bugis" in the illegal mass issuance of ICs.
'Declarations backdated'He testified that Ops Gembleng was also alleged to have involved the backdating of false declarations (sijil akuan) declaring foreigners as Sabah-born for the purpose of issuing illegal ICs.
"Some say they are born in Tenom or in Rundum, when these people probably have never been to Rundum, and these declarations were backdated to 1987 to obtain ICs," he said.
Radin, who was then PBS secretary-general, said that he had also received a letter via post, which included 12 alleged fake ICs and a list of NRD officers said to be involved in Ops Gembleng.
"(The list) was real. Between 1995 and 1996, the names listed were arrested by the police and detained under the Internal Security Act," he said.
Asked by conducting officer Jamil Aripin, Radin, who is now Sabah Rural Development Minister, admitted that he cannot verify the information he received but believes that the sources are authentic.
"One of them was a medical doctor from Kampung Air... He is a Sabahan Indian. He told me of a Muslim Indian national who received an IC within a few days of arriving.
"He convulsed into tears when he told me. I asked him why, since that person is his Indian brother, but he said: "But I am Sabahan and he is depriving me of my opportunities," he said, urging the RCI to call the doctor as a witness.
Posted: 25 Jul 2013 12:38 PM PDT
(The Malaysian Insider) - Even more damning is another request by a user known as Asmadi Axass who told Guneswari to return to her homeland and stop disturbing the natives.
The whistle-blower who exposed the case of students being made to eat in a school shower room is now facing threats to her life.
Posted: 25 Jul 2013 12:37 PM PDT
SK Seri Pristina students were seen eating at the reopened canteen during recess time at 3pm Thursday.
(Bernama) - Sekolah Kebangsaan Seri Pristana headmaster lodged a police report Thursday regarding a death threat he received two days ago.
Meanwhile, Sungai Buloh police chief Supt Junaidi Bujang confirmed receiving the report.
Posted: 25 Jul 2013 12:36 PM PDT
(The Malay Mail) - The girlfriend of fugitive cop S. Hare Krishnan, who is wanted over the death of detainee N. Dhamendran, has lodged a police report on his behalf, claiming he was framed.
Hare Krishnan claimed he did not "touch or beat" Dhamendran that day, and claimed to know "who beat him, who was there and who knew about it".
In a text reply to The Malay Mail, City CID Chief Datuk Ku Chin Wah confirmed that a police report had been made on June 1 at the Brickfields police station in Kuala Lumpur by the girlfriend, who is currently Hare Krishnan's spokesperson.
The message read: "We have investigated his report independently, and the results of the investigation have been forwarded to the investigating officer of Dhamendran's death."
Yesterday, Malaysiakini reported Hare Krishnan's claim that he was innocent and that he had been dragged into the case to "protect certain parties".
A copy of the report obtained by Malaysiakini apparently states that Hare Krishnan had not been in the Dang Wangi police station lock-up on the day Dhamendran died, following horrific torture.
Dhamendran, 31, was found dead in a cell at the station 10 days after he was arrested over an alleged gunfight.
The police initially claimed he had died from breathing difficulties, but a post-mortem showed he had suffered 52 injuries, including staples in his earlobes.
Hare Krishnan claimed he did not "touch or beat" Dhamendran that day, and claimed to know "who beat him, who was there and who knew about it".
Hare Krishnan has been missing from duty since June 15.
The police released his photograph last Tuesday in an effort to seek public help to track him down and is now urging Hare Krishnan to come out of hiding to assist investigations into all the claims he made in the police report.
On June 5, three other suspects — police officers Jaffri Jaafar, 44, Mohd Nahar Abd Rahman, 45, and Mohd Haswadi Zamri Shaari, 32 — were charged with the murder of Dhamendran.
- See more at: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/girlfriend-lodges-report-on-behalf-of-fugitive-cop?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#sthash.raB2M0kW.dpuf
|You are subscribed to email updates from Malaysia Today - Your Source of Independent News |
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
|Email delivery powered by Google|
|Google Inc., 20 West Kinzie, Chicago IL USA 60610|