Selasa, 9 Oktober 2012

Malaysia Today - Your Source of Independent News


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

Malaysia Today - Your Source of Independent News


Tolerance

Posted: 08 Oct 2012 01:18 PM PDT

http://www.visitpenang.gov.my/portal3/images/stories/satayatahbashri%201_resize.jpg

Since I was hungry (I had hardly eaten anything because the buffet line looked so daunting), I made my way to the "halal" table and started pointing but before I could say anything, I was told "Ini makanan halal" or in English "this is halal food".

KS

My daughter is enrolled at a Chinese medium national type primary school.

I sent her there because whilst being a Chinese by race, I hardly speak any Chinese worth being proud about, and my level of reading is limited to writing my own name and identifying some few Chinese characters, which means I probably wouldn't survive a day in China by myself if no one spoke to me in English.

It does not mean that I am not proud to be Malaysian. It just means that I am proud to be Chinese too and I would like to give my child some of what I could not achieve.

My personal background is unique in that I have studied Islamic Studies (at my own father's insistence) when I was in secondary school. I have a credit in the old SRP (now PMR) in Islamic studies and I did not continue Islamic Studies because when I applied to take up Islamic Studies as a subject for my SPM, I was not allowed to do so by the Ministry of Education on the grounds that I was not a Muslim.

At one point I almost converted to Islam. Obviously decisions by authorities such as mentioned in the previous paragraph influenced my decision not to become a Muslim as it felt like I was being blackmailed into becoming a Muslim.

In saying that, I do not place blame on Islam as a religion, but rather the practice and extremism of certain members of the faith had caused me to lose my faith in the promise of Islam as a religion.

Put also into perspective that among my peers I am sometimes not considered a pure Chinese because of my beliefs and the way I run my life.

Yet today, I am at ease, eating any kind of generic food found in Malaysia (I do not consider the eating of exotic animals to be generic), eating with my hands, or with chopsticks, or even with spoon and fork (our colonial history at play).

What my background means is that I feel that I am in a unique position to comment on what happened recently at my daughter's school during a celebration of the Chinese mid-autumn festival.

The school had made arrangements to have a big do for the mid-autumn festival. Among the arrangements was a pot luck, where all the parents would bring their own food to the table to be shared, which is key to my story here.

On the day of the festival celebrations, I made my way to the school which had much fanfare, children running around happily with each other, parents looking on them adorably.

PTA/PIBG organizers were conspicuous by a uniform t-shirt which they all wore.

Interested, I went to have a look at the food arrangements.

Food was arranged buffet style on tables arranged in the canteen. And quite properly in my opinion, a separate table set apart for "halal" food, which was being hovered over protectively by some Muslims. Not surprising to me as there were probably 30 to 40 Muslims in a crowd of over 700 and care should be taken to ensure that there was enough food for EVERYONE.

The festivities opened up with speeches, and some minor performances by school children, and the buffet was declared opened.

There was a rush for food and my criticism of that is that no lines or crowd control was effected, but in general everyone was having a rollicking good time.

Among the chief dishes was satay, being grilled by someone hired to grill satay, and I found out later that there had been two (2) satay stalls arranged, one by Chinese parents (whom I assume are not Muslims), and another by Malay parents (whom I assume are Muslims).

In short order, all the pre-grilled satay available was finished, with the satay grillers frantically grilling as fast as they could, probably some 100 sticks at a time (which if you know, takes 10 minutes off the line to be cooked enough to eat).

Yet, I saw at the "halal" table a tray containing perhaps 200 sticks.

Since I was hungry (I had hardly eaten anything because the buffet line looked so daunting), I made my way to the "halal" table and started pointing but before I could say anything, I was told "Ini makanan halal" or in English "this is halal food".

And this by one of the organizing members of the dinner, who was almost definitely a Muslim (he looked Malay and therefore I assume he is Muslim).

I was initially stunned to say the least, upset, and also angry at the same time.

I almost retorted but I did not want to make a scene, and considering the small-mindedness of the statement, chose to ignore it, and rather lined up waiting another 20 minutes for some hot delicious satay instead of insisting on some cold satay.

Why did this stun me? Why did this make me upset? Why did this make me angry?

1) By saying that the food is "halal" (when there is a big sign made by the organizing committee that the food is "halal", does it mean that I am not fit to eat "halal" food? The last I checked parents of a Chinese student who was not Muslim had taken the thought (or at least I hope there was a thought) to order halal food for the celebrations in order to be all inclusive.

2) At the time of my asking, the buffet had already been in progress for about an hour. Most guests had already eaten at least part their fill, and food was starting to run out. It was apparent to me that the demand for food at the "halal" table was more or less past its peak. I could see that there were about 8 Muslims sitting at the table chatting and not one of them eating.

3) There was ample satay at the table, offering it to a majority who had none would have been a kind gesture, especially since there was more satay on the way.

4) Again coming back to the fact that there was satay grilling on the grill, and ample satay on the "halal" table cooling down. Why have cold satay later when you can have hot satay? If you are not eating the food, why let it's taste be ruined by letting it cool down? Why not get replacement satay later?

5) If you (I am referring to a specific person), the PTA committee member who is a Muslim and who told me that the "food is halal" is such an extreme Muslim, then, what were you doing attending a supposedly pagan festival and even encouraging Muslim children to play with lanterns (which I saw with my own eyes) in celebration of the festival? A contradiction of the highest order and display of lack of understanding of one's own religion, beliefs and tolerance of.

6) Did the Muslims at the school not notice that the school administration had taken pains to ensure that their rights to eat halal food had been protected? Did they not see the forest when they noticed trees in front of them, or were they so overwhelmed by the trees that they thought they were in a haunted forest?

7) My wife who had earlier attended the PTA/PIBG meeting earlier in the year when the committee was being voted in had specifically heard the headmistress apologize to the non-Chinese speaking parents and advised them to move their children to governmental Malay medium schools if their children could not cope as the methods of teaching in a Chinese school may be too different for them to cope, yet at the same time welcomed the challenge of teaching these students. As far as I am concerned, if you are willing to exact your children to non-conformity in order to expand their mindset (just as my father did to me and 2 of my sisters), then you yourself as the parent must be ready to make the leap of faith into non-conformity!

I won't go on further except to say that it is disappointing to see such myopic thoughts in a country which is supposed to be multi-racial, multi-religious, and multi-cultural, and especially is supposed to have such harmony and tolerance for all things racial, religious and cultural.

This small incident among such a happy evening for my family ruined the event for me personally as I feel that such insensitivity should not exist in this country in this day and age.

Looking back, it may have even been me personally who was too sensitive towards an innocent insensitive gesture, but I reserve my right to feel aggrieved as I do not feel that I had offended anyone (unless someone tells me logically why I may have done so), and I feel that the gesture was made with the lack of common sense or forethought for the consequences.

I am not asking the reader of this article to become angry. I am asking the reader to understand the morale of the story.

What the purpose of this article means to make clear to the reader is that we all, ALL peoples of Malaysia, have to use their common sense in reacting to the various elements of race, religion and culture in this country as it is what is supposed to make us strong.

By the same grace, I commend:

1) That we do have Chinese-medium education systems in our country and that our government allows for such systems.
2) That non-Chinese elect to place their children in Chinese-medium education systems to further broaden their mind, which is not to say that non-Chinese medium education systems are inferior, it is just that it is different and provides a different mindset as part of conditioning.
3) That the parents of non-Chinese background enrol their children and support their children by participating in school events such as these despite these incidents, which minor as they seem, can become a bone of contention in the future and should be weeded out as soon as possible before they become exactly that, a divisive element.

PEACE.

Education Blueprint 2013-2025 needs to truly reflect the aspirations of Malaysian

Posted: 08 Oct 2012 01:02 PM PDT

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/c0.0.400.400/p403x403/424754_396590317075388_1442129027_n.jpg

Organizing a dialogue should be a piece of cake yet MOE failed to do it properly. At this rate, can we even trust them to carry out an overhaul of our education system and count on them to successfully implement a blueprint that it is inherently much more complex?

TBH, Parent from Petaling Jaya

Not many were aware of the final Open Dialogue on the National Education Blueprint 2013-2025 on Saturday, 6th October, 2012 held at Pudu Sentral, Kuala Lumpur. I attended but walked away highly disappointed and furious that our time was spent in futility while taxpayers' money was wasted due to inept education officials.

The Ministry of Education (MOE) screwed up big time with their thoughtless planning. And when they got bashed left and right for the badly chosen venue, they quickly claimed that it was a last-minute thing, giving excuses that the original plan was for a "Pameran" only with no dialogue session. What a blatant outright lie! Their website (http://pendidikguru.org/portal-pmo/index.php? option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=10) dated 14-Aug-12 had clearly stated "10:00pagi : Sesi Dialog bersama KPPM / TKPPM" and was the only one planned for KL.

The venue was so noisy and very unconducive. Instead of making any suggestions that I had intended to, I simply handed over my printed note to the Chairperson and made a public statement to Timbalan Ketua Pengarah (TKP) Dr Amin Senin that "This whole thing is a joke! Cannot hear anything! If MOE cannot even get this kind of basic thing right, I feel sorry for all our children!"

Upon further criticism by other attendees and sensing their folly, they quickly announced that another session will be held in KL again soon, at a proper venue. It was obviously a public relations face-saving attempt.

One cannot help but get the impression that by giving it minimum publicity, MOE was not quite sincere with this whole exercise. Perhaps they fear facing some very vocal public and NGOs who have all but denounced the blueprint.

Stakeholders (including an elderly gentlemen who travelled all the way from Ipoh) were keen to provide final input to this 13-year blueprint that the whole country is counting on to bring about transformational changes to our education system. We are putting all our hopes and that of our children's future, into this blueprint.

Organizing a dialogue should be a piece of cake yet MOE failed to do it properly. At this rate, can we even trust them to carry out an overhaul of our education system and count on them to successfully implement a blueprint that it is inherently much more complex?

During Q&A, TKP insisted that all views had been taken into account. What perplexes me is, after taking into account all those views, who determines what goes into the blueprint, and how?

Consider these:

1) Two widely supported suggestions i.e. for the continuation of PPSMI alongside MBMMBI and for a non-politician Education Minister, that received among the loudest applause during town hall meetings held earlier, are missing from the blueprint.

2) An attendee of two Round Table discussions on Education revealed that there is almost unanimous agreement that English should be made the medium of instruction at least for Mathematics and Science. It is highly questionably why their views are ignored.

3) During one of the dialogues, we were told of very high-ranking Education Ministry officials who would not publicly state their stand when asked if they sanctioned the published blueprint. Instead, they opted to remain silent.

4) We also heard of claims that this published blueprint did not reflect some major contents in the original proposals compiled by very senior education officers.

Unless the blueprint is amended to incorporate an accurate picture that truly results from MOE's engagement with the public, and which rightly reflects the aspirations of Malaysians, we, the stakeholders, cannot help but suspect that all the sessions and dialogues engaging with the public are just an eye-wash.

Therefore, one should not be faulted for concluding that there is possible manipulation of data collected. It is extremely disappointing and very nauseating to sense a lack of sincerity on the Minister's part to take our views into account.


Reply to all Pakatan Rakyat Troopers in Raja Petra's Malaysia Today

Posted: 08 Oct 2012 12:55 PM PDT

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/370607_681120379_444764045_n.jpg

I wonder why Pakatan Rakyat always shouted for freedom of expression where now they ask me to shut up when I speak up? I cannot never get rid of BN until the day where Pakatan Rakyat is proven to be a way better entity to replaced BN. I seriously do not want to replace a Proton Iswara with Proton Wira. Is not worth the change.

Shen Yee Aun

http://www.malaysia-today.net/mtcolumns/letterssurat/51992-malaysian-youth-right-movement-urge-malaysian-youth-to-reject-pakatan-rakyat-extemenism

written by bumiputar2, October 06, 2012 11:58:45

talk cock. You look more like a running DOG.

( Malaysian should look at how Pakatan Rakyat troopers behave in the Cyber World ? Instead of having an intellectual exchange of thoughts regarding the issue that I had posted they end up choose to make it so personal. I wonder is Anwar and Azmin Ali not a running dog from UMNO? I wonder is Chua Jui Meng not a running dog from MCA ? I wonder half of current PKR members are not formerly the running dog from UMNO ? )

written by Reza Shahputra, October 06, 2012 12:23:15
Lets hear your stands on these articles before moving on to other issues: http://www.malaysia-today.net/mtcolumns/newscommentaries/51990-sons-wedding-was-cheap-to-organise-
and
http://www.malaysia-today.net/mtcolumns/guest-columnists/51989-land-grab-malaysian-style
I'm just an average Joe of Malaysia and Not a PR or BN supporter. Are you able to get answers for these 2 articles and get actions from the SPRM for an average Joe like me?


( Look at how typical Pakatan Rakyat Cyber Troopers behave in the cyber world ? They will always urge people to reply to their allegations where the allegations throw right to their face they will just divert it. I am not like any of them that will deny the facts that there weakness , flaws and problems in Barisan Nasional because my stand is very simple. As bad as BN can be and if they need to be change then make sure they be changed by a real qualified entity that is proven to be way better than BN. If they are exactly like BN or almost the same that what changes are we really shouting for? This posting is nothing about corruption because there also list of corruption that I would like to share it our with the public about PR corruption after Mac 2008. )

written by kaum_lanoon, October 06, 2012 12:44:38
This asshole still doesn't realise he's a second class citizen whom will never enjoy real citizenship in the eyes of the racist-corruptive regime. He should just shut-up and go collect his $500

( Even if I am really a second class citizen under Barisan Nasional then what makes you think that I will be the first class citizen under Pakatan Rakyat? Unless Pakatan Rakyat is willing to pledge to remove 152 and 153 in our constitution then only they are qualified to go on further attacking Barisan Nasional regarding the racial and citizen status quo in Malaysia. What type of enjoyment that I will receive from the same half UMNO type of leadership under Anwar and PKR also also a list of corrupted leaders in Pakatan Rakyat after Mac 2008 ? )

written by Happyfamily, October 06, 2012 12:50:13
Yee Aun, you are one nut with a screwed mind. Why use Kelantan or Kedah? Why not take Penang or Selangor as the example? Next time be more intelligent with your analysis.

( Selangor? I thought Selangor did raid alcohol in 7/11 once PR took over power after Mac 2008? I thought Selangor had shut down a Cinema in Banggi ? I also thought Selangor had earlier suggested to segregate the Gender in Cinema in Hulu Langat ? Penang? I thought after Mac 2008 Lim Guan Eng had just demolished a Tua Pek Kwong temple in Penang ? )

written by Maravan2004, October 06, 2012 13:17:55
Shut up lah Shen Yee Aun..Get rid of BN first then talk about Pakatan.

( I wonder why Pakatan Rakyat always shouted for freedom of expression where now they ask me to shut up when I speak up? I cannot never get rid of BN until the day where Pakatan Rakyat is proven to be a way better entity to replaced BN. I seriously do not want to replace a Proton Iswara with Proton Wira. Is not worth the change )

written by Sanny, October 06, 2012 13:24:18
Yalah tu. Lu boleh tak pakai apa pon. Tak da yang larang. Suka hatilah. Nak telanjang kah. Up to you if you say its good for Malaysians to want or do it. Ask the PM lah if he also share the same idea as you. Just have your sweet and leasure time maaah. Probably KJ pon suka tengok perempuan pakai bikini!

( Is not a stripping show as stripping show is not allowed in Malaysia. Is just a Fashion Show. There nothing to ask Najib about it because Najib had never voice out to oppose to it like how PAS Youth did against it. Please do not degrade and drag others leaders who are not related in this issue. There should be certain ethnic and integrity in political battle )

written by zhaoxi, October 06, 2012 13:33:26
the geist of the speach is,vote BN for our contineous freedom.what freedom does our youth wants?
freedom to walk naked in the street?
freedom to go fucking around?
freedom to tske dope?
freedom to just doing anything?
and what restriction you fear of if pakatan rule?
who raided bookstore to confiscate books of irshad manji?
who restricted thr freedom to gsin knowledge by reading?
who raided niteclub and massege parlour to rrstrict our youth to get sex?isnt it every humsn needs?
why BN banned LBGT?isnt it our right to practise what we like?sftersll we dont disturb the life of others.
or what freedom you yearn for.

( You look at smart or perhaps stupid PR troopers that is trying to divert from this issue. What I had posted is only freedom to Organize A Fashion Show. As simple as that. Look at how they manipulate it to walking naked , fucking around and all his entire allegations. As simple as freedom to organize a Fashion Show why PAS Youth need to voice out to ban it ? )

written by narkas, October 06, 2012 13:54:57
HOI, CHINESE WHY ARE U SO STUPID,HAVE UNOT LEARNT WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT YOUR GENERATION .THEY FORGOT EVERYTHING DONE FOR THIS BEUTIFUL COUNTRY.REMBEMBER U ARE A PENADATANG .DONT BE SO THICK SKIN U STUPID SHEN YEE AUN

( You look Pakatan Rakyat. They are selling about racial unity. They are going against UMNO for being racist. But now they themselves being so racial in their comments. Look at how vulgar they can be sometimes when the truth of reality about Pakatan Rakyat flaws is throw right at their face and it is so bitter for them to swallow the truth )
 

Why are the Malays running away?

Posted: 08 Oct 2012 12:49 PM PDT

A stinging satire on Mahathir's latest call for the Malays to stop being ungrateful, lazy and stupid to vote against Umno.

Iskandar Dzulkarnain, FMT

Dr Mahathir Mohamad's recent message is timely. The Malays simply must change. They must reform, transform or whatever you call it! Yes, the Malays are ungrateful and lacking intelligence, especially the few power-hungry ones in the opposition.

Luckily, Tengku Aziz got out in time from the DAP. We cannot expect greedy, ungrateful and dim-witted politicians like Anwar Ibrahim and Hadi Awang to do the same. Imagine, the country's dominant race losing its political power because of a few ungrateful and moronic Malays who are greedy for political power.

Mahathir also warned that "Malay (opposition) parties who win the elections and form the government would have to follow the dictates of others (races). They will lose dominance in the government because of their willingness to share with others," he said in a special column titled 'Suara Hati Mahathir' published in Mingguan Malaysia.

Yes, Umno has become weak since the last election. It can no longer dish out enough crutches for the Malays. And because of this the Malays are abandoning Umno in droves. Very soon, there will be very little Malay support left for Umno.

For so long, Umno had been busy looking out for the Malays. It was focused and it created immense wealth and channelled it to their cronies to be dispensed to the Malay masses. But the Malays refused to save what they received, and spent every last cent of it.

Today, many still wallow in poverty, and blame Umno for not doing enough to address their plight. Many have threatened to vote the Opposition if Umno does not arrest the situation.

From farmers, civil servants to taxi drivers, everyone is crying out for handouts or else! Some are lazy, lack intelligence and plain greedy and will sell their souls to the highest bidder. Umno has been too kind in the past, and relented to their demands.

But Umno's superb handling of the economy, even under such tremendous pressure is commendable, as it managed to do its bit for the Malays while suppressing the national debt from ballooning to a mere RM500 billion. Most governments in other countries would have gone bankrupt by now.

Is it a surprise, that the 2013 budget sees more goodies for everyone, especially the Malays?

Malays can continue to wallow in despair

A national organisation to unite the Malays, Umno had always put the Malays first. It has even invited other races to become Bumiputeras as long as they abide by its constitution. Thus far there has been lukewarm response from the Chinese and the Indians.

It has even offered citizenships to legible foreigners who could speak Bahasa Malaysia and be loyal to the Malay cause. What more has Umno not done for the Malays?

Today, many Malays are blinded by religion, greed and power, so they join the opposition because they feel that Umno is less Islamic than PAS. PAS refuses to join Umno to jointly implement an Islamic state, but rather cohabit with the opposition, so that they can gain more power to rule, rather than to play second fiddle to Umno.

And yes again, the Malays simply have to see through the insignificant corruption, and support Umno and its leaders, who are sworn to protect the Malays from themselves. At least with Umno, the Malays can continue to wallow in despair until one fine day, they can evolve into more productive humans without the fear that the Malay power base will be eroded.

Today, Umno is populated by the best Malay minds in the world, superior intelligence beyond compare and you can find them in the likes of Rais Yatim, Ibrahim Ali and Zahid Hamidi. It will be a waste if these leaders are not given more time to work their magic.

Imagine the horrific scenario, if Umno loses. What will become of the great leaders like Najib and Muhyiddin, Mahathir, Taib Mahmud and Shafie Apdal? The young Hishammuddin Hussein, Khairy Jamaluddin and Mukhriz Mahathir, who are slated to carry on the torch as future Prime Ministers of this land? Who will take care of the Malays? Who is going to protect the royalty and who is going to uphold the religion?

Pakatan Rakyat is too preoccupied with a Malaysian Malaysia and would sell out the majority to please the minority. Bumiputeraship will lose its meaning and lustre. The Malays would become ordinary citizens like everyone else.

And imagine if the Malays would have to compete on a level playing field without the NEP, it would take another 200 years before they are on par with the rest of the races. Even the Sabahans and Sarawakians have overtaken the Malays on their home ground.

Read more at: http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/opinion/2012/10/09/why-are-the-malays-running-away/

 

Kredit: www.malaysia-today.net

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

Malaysia Today Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved